The Undeniable Benefits of an Annual Hearing Test
The ability to hear is one of the most amazing facets of being human, which is why it's imperative to schedule an annual hearing test. As the third most common health problem in the United States, hearing loss affects children as well as adults.
However, you can protect your hearing and even rectify hearing loss by scheduling annual hearing tests with your local audiologist. Continue reading to learn more about why everyone should have an annual hearing test.
What Is an Annual Hearing Test?
In order to keep your hearing system and ears as functioning as efficiently possible, it's vital to identify hearing loss as quickly as possible. If hearing loss is detected, it must be treated promptly and effectively.
At North Shore Hearing, we achieve this goal through a simple annual hearing test. While everyone's test may vary, the most basic elements include:
- A scheduled discussion about your medical history and any hearing difficulties you may have been having.
- Your ears are checked to ensure their clean and healthy.
- A thorough hearing test will be conducted, and your hearing specialist will review the results.
If your audiologist determines treatment is appropriate, they will discuss all of your options. At North Shore Hearing P.C., we offer a long list of technologically-advanced hearing devices, such as:
And much more
Why Are Annual Hearing Tests Important?
Annual hearing tests are important because most people are unaware they suffer from hearing loss. This matter is further complicated by the fact that hearing loss is typically a gradual process. Most people are completely unaware their hearing loss is declining until they start to experience certain symptoms, such as:
- Difficulty hearing background noise
- Having to turn up the volume of your television
- Asking people to repeat themselves
- Experiencing difficulty hearing through phones.
Instead of allowing your hearing loss to go undetected, it's best to monitor your hearing levels with yearly hearing tests.
Benefits of Annual Hearing Tests
Some of the most common benefits of the annual hearing test include:
- It's Painless & Easy: The hearing test is completely painless and can be conducted in less than an hour.
- Your Hearing Affects Your Health: Hearing loss has been directly correlated to heart disease, hypertension, and diabetes. If it is left untreated, it can increase your chances of developing social isolation, depression, and hearing loss has been linked to dementia.
- Prevention Is Vital: If it's caught early, hearing loss is treatable.
- Brain Power & Hearing Testing: Those with untreated hearing loss are proven to experience anywhere from 30% to 40% of their ability to solve problems and think efficiently.
Considering the possible impacts of hearing loss, it's vital to schedule your annual hearing test. In addition, it's recommended you have a baseline hearing test before you start having concerns.
The Baseline for the Annual Hearing Test
A baseline hearing test serves as a basis to determine whether hearing loss exists as well as the extent of the hearing loss. The baseline hearing test will allow the audiologist to compare any hearing loss to a baseline or standard. This will create a clear picture of your degree of hearing loss - if any. Most importantly, it will guide the heating specialist in the best way to treat it.
Make sure to have a minimum of one baseline test between the ages of 21 - 60 while you're an adult. Baseline hearing tests are also a great idea for school-age children, especially if:
- Your kid doesn't always hear you
- Your child has had several ear infections
- The teacher suggests your child should have their hearing checked.
Who Administers a Baseline Hearing Test?
Although your primary care physician may be able to administer it, it's best to have the baseline for the annual hearing test conducted by an audiologist. An audiologist will most likely administer an audiogram. During the audiogram, the results will be plotted, and the results will be reviewed with you.
Contact North Shore Hearing PC Today
Imagine a gorgeous summer or spring day. You spend the morning watching the sun peak above the horizon alerting the orchestra of birds to begin their latest concerta. When evening rolls around, you enjoy a cookout with your friends, telling stories, laughing, and enjoying the company of loved ones.
Now imagine the same scenario where you can't hear the orchestra of birds or understand what your loved ones are saying. While this scenario may be alarming, it's the reality of millions of Americans suffering from hearing loss.
Regardless of your degree of hearing loss, the experts at North Shore Hearing P.C. can help. We provide annual hearing tests, baseline hearing tests, and a variety of additional services to ensure you get the most out of the full range of sounds.
If it's determined corrective devices are needed, such as hearing aids, we offer state-of-the-art hearing aids designed to fit your busy lifestyle.
Contact North Shore Hearing P.C. today to schedule your annual hearing test.